The government of President Muhammadu Buhari has been cleared of blame by the country’s ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) following the release of data, which shows over 133 million Nigerians live in poverty.
The APC Director of Publicity, Bala Ibrahim, provided this clarification on Monday during his appearance on Sunrise Daily, a well-liked program on Channels Television.
Ibrahim blamed the opposition Peoples Democratic Party for allowing the country to slide into a terrible situation as a result of poor leadership, even though he claimed he could not contest the most recent numbers issued by the National Bureau of Statistics.
About 133 million individuals, or 63% of Nigerians, were reported to be “multidimensionally poor” by the NBS in November.
According to the statistics, 65% of those living in poverty are in the north, while the remaining 35% are found in the south.
The APC’s head of publicity, however, vehemently defended the Buhari administration, asserting that it had no case to answer for the destitute condition of the common Nigerian.
He said, “I am happy the NBS did not say it is the APC that impoverished Nigerians. This poverty that has taken control of Nigeria is as a result of the misrule of the PDP for 16 years.
“The APC, since it came into power, has been doing everything to uplift the standard of living, to take people to the place of their ambitions, and it promised to provide succour, and it is doing so.”
Ibrahim continued by praising the current administration, saying it deserved praise for creating more millionaire rice farmers since it took office in May 2015.