The trump administration attempt to ban TikTok downloads in the U.S. has been banned by a federal judge, while caught in a battle of brinkmanship between global super powers, giving the Chinese-owned app a short-term victory as it scrambles to ensure its future.
More time has been given to TikTok owner ByteDance Ltd. to get approval from U.S. and Chinese authorities by Judge Carl Nichols of the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., for a pending deal that includes Oracle Corp. and Walmart Inc.
With the ruling landing less than four hours before the ban was to take effect, the court drama on Sunday was a new chapter in a protracted saga still without a clear ending.
In a bid to address the national security concerns, President Trump earlier this month gave the deal is blessing. The U.S. Committee on Foreign Investment still must approve the particulars, including the sticky question of who would have majority ownership and the Chinese government could also nix it.
READ: Trump Gives His ‘Blessing’ on Oracle And Walmart To Acquire 20% Stake In TikTok.
If an American deal for TikTok is not completed by Nov. 12, the U.S. Commerce Department plans to implement a full ban rendering the app unusable for U.S. users.
The court also take the government side and allow the ban to move forward. Judge Nichols, who was nominated by President Trump last year on Sunday, didn’t immediately explain the ruling to block the ban indefinitely, but asked both sides to propose a timeline for more detailed arguments.
TikTok in the past years as grown so popular among young people, and its downloads has increased through the pandemic as users find it very interesting irrespective of it silly videos. TikTok says the app has more than 50million daily active U.S. users, and 100 million monthly users.
On Sunday the TikTok spokewoman said she was pleased that the court concur with her legal arguments to halt the ban. “We will continue defending our rights for the benefit of our community and employees,” she said. She further stated that TikTok plans to continue its discussion with the U.S government to reach an agreement.
In a statement on Sunday the Commerce Department said it will succumb with the injunction but plans to vigorously defend its implementation efforts from other legal challenges.
© 2020, Allub News. All rights reserved. Re-publish is forbidding
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest fresh contents.