Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has confirmed Manchester City’s bid for Jose Gimenez.
The president revealed that the club rejected a £78million (€85m) offer from Manchester City for the center back.
Gimenez, 25, has been linked with a move to City since the stalling on the signing of Napoli center back Kalidou Koulibaly – City was reportedly close to signing Koulibaly but the deal seems to be taking more time than expected.
There were reports earlier this month that the Spanish side had turned down a big-money offer from City for Gimenez.
Cerezo has now confirmed the LaLiga giants received the offer from City, but are not ready to part ways with the defender.
Cerezo told El Transistor: “We did receive the offer”.
“But Gimenez is a magnificent player and we are interested in having magnificent players in the team.”
Atletico finished third last season and will begin their new campaign at home to Granada on Sunday.
With the season set to begin behind closed doors due to the coronavirus pandemic, Cerezo hopes fans back sooner rather than later.
“We are hopeful that the public will be able to return to the stadiums before the end of the season,” he said.
“It is a difficult issue to control, but I think with the controls we have and with the good behavior of the world of football, we will be able to continue this campaign well.”
The Laliga club has signed Luis Suarez from Barcelona for €6 million.
© 2020, Allub News. All rights reserved. Re-publish is forbidding
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest fresh contents.