The owner of a business was ordered by a court in Dubai to pay blood money to the families of two workers who died after being electrocuted while performing maintenance work on a fish pond.
The company’s Indian owner, who received a one-month sentence with probation, was accused of negligence, including failing to provide the employees with safety training.
The unskilled workers were brought to a property in Jumeirah in July of last year to clean a fishpond, but they were not provided with any safety gear. The Dubai Court of Misdemeanor was informed.
The accused were ordered by the court to pay the relatives of each victim a blood money payment of Dh200,000 and a fine of Dh3,000 this week.
He disputes the allegations, stating that he was not in the United Arab Emirates when the incident occurred. The matter has been forwarded to the Appeal Court.
The workmen accidentally drowned when they used a water pump to clean the pond and left a wire exposed.
Judges were informed that the housekeeper informed the property owner, who then phoned the police.
“My maid informed me that one of the employees fell into the pond. They passed away while performing maintenance tasks as a result of an electric shock brought on by shoddy wiring in a cleaning appliance,” the villa owner claimed.
The judges were given a report from the Dubai Municipality that said that the electric pump wire had fallen into the pond.
Without shutting off the power or donning rubber safety boots, the two employees entered the pond to clean the stones.
The investigation stated that “the company did not give adequate training to the workers and did not adequately supervise the company’s employees to follow safety regulations to prevent the accident.”
The company’s lack of a license to perform such maintenance work was not known to the sales manager who dropped off the workers.
The two victims had jobs cleaning and maintaining fish ponds in addition to working in sales. I dropped them off at the villa, but an hour later I got a call saying they had passed away. The two [employees] were recent hires, according to the sales manager.