In a post on social media on Friday, the Armenian defense ministry accused the Azerbaijani military of firing on Armenian positions in defiance of a cease-fire agreement.
“On September 23, at 0740 (0340 GMT), units of the Azerbaijani armed forces again violated the cease-fire regime by firing from different positions against Armenian combat positions located in the eastern area of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border,” the ministry said in a post on Facebook on Friday.
Despite claiming to have started returning fire, Armenian service members were unharmed.
Azerbaijan did not respond to the charges right away. Baku charged Armenia earlier this week with staging “provocations” along their shared border by launching mortars and grenades at its troops.
The fiercest conflict since a six-week war between the two former Soviet countries in 2020, fighting broke out between the two sides earlier this month and resulted in battles that claimed approximately 200 lives of soldiers.
Fighting is related to long-running disputes over control of the Nagorno-Karabakh territory, which is officially acknowledged as being a part of Azerbaijan but was up until 2020 mostly under the control of the region’s ethnic Armenian majority.
Beyond the contentious Nagorno-Karabakh region, Armenia said Azerbaijan had invaded its territory and taken settlements from within its borders. According to Azerbaijan, it was in response to “provocations” coming from the Armenian side.
Although it strives to preserve cordial ties with Azerbaijan and has rejected pleas from Yerevan to use a mutual self-defense provision, Russia is Armenia’s military ally. Turkey provides Baku with financial, political, and military support.